Creative Services / Graphic Design Advisor
Location Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Start Date Sep – Nov 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 5
Language Scale: http://cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Bring your creative skills as a Graphic Designer in Tanzania!
As the Creative Services / Graphic Design Advisor, you will bring your design skills to assist small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with their packaging and labelling needs. This volunteer role will involve a significant amount of direct interaction with SMEs to better understand their unique story and tailor product designs that meet their vision. Through your design support, you will contribute in the potential growth of agricultural and artisanal product SMEs through increased visibility and marketing.
Come join a dynamic project team in Tanzania and make an impact using your creative / design skills!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Strengthen capacity of SMEs regarding improved packaging and labelling; develop concepts, graphics, layouts for product illustrations, company logos, product packaging and websites
- Support entrepreneurs in identifying packaging solutions that meet the requirements of buyers and customers (local as well as international ones); make recommendations/report to creative services coordinator & Head of T-Led project
- Help grow enterprises by understanding the packaging needs that best represents the product, brand, and company (culturally and technically appropriate for region and/or communities and market demand)
- Support target SMEs to achieve standards required by buyers in terms of appropriate and marketable packaging and labelling; design logos and labels for SMEs
- Coach and mentor SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff to improve training provided to SMEs on packaging and labelling; develop tools and training materials with SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff that can be used in their trainings to SMEs
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree or diploma in graphic design or Marketing and/or relevant customer service qualifications
Essential Professional Background:
- Two years’ experience in graphic design, Marketing and/or relevant customer service experience for the post
About Our Partner
T-Led Project - VSO Tanzania and Cuso International
The Tanzania Local Enterprise Development (T-Led) project is aimed at developing enhanced equitable and sustainable economic growth and prosperity for women and men in the Mtwara, Lindi, Mwanza and Iringa regions of Tanzania. This aligns with our project partner, the Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (TCCIA), along with goals of increasing private sector development, small industry development (SIDO) and women-led business growth (TWCC).
The project aims to increase economic growth and prosperity in two ways:
1) By increasing the income and growth potential of female and male entrepreneurs in the value chains related to foreign direct investment in agriculture and the extractive industries and
2) By enhancing small and medium-sized enterprises support services provided by Tanzania Women Chamber of Commerce (TWCC), SIDO and TCCIA in the target regions.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to pre-departure training, an international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.