Business Development Specialist
City Quezon City, Philippines
Start Date Sep – Nov 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 4
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
We are seeking a Business Development Specialist to help our partner with a business development strategy and train staff to manage this change. This will require planning, coaching, directing, implementing and advising skills to facilitate this process. Our partner Trias Philippines, is a Belgian Non-Government Organization working in the Philippines to implement inclusive market interventions programs for family farms and small-scale entrepreneurs. You will be an agent for change in helping farmers, women in rural areas, and fisherfolk to improve their business.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Attend meetings and familiarize yourself with the different programs and activities
- Conduct field visit to see the businesses and different enterprises of members
- Study the business model, plan development tools for Trias and implement these within respective organizations
- Develop an operational and business development plan
- Implement the business plan through intensive coaching and mentoring with the business plan team lead and the Trias advisor
- Document process of business modeling and business development, and recommend improvements
- Write the proposed operational manual for the respective businesses
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Marketing
Essential Professional Background:
- 3-5 years of experience in business management, marketing, strategic planning, financial business planning, development of business management strategies, marketing and promotional strategies
- Systems development especially along marketing or trading business
About Cuso International and Our Partner
Cuso International is a development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships, and compassionate donors. We mobilize hundreds of skilled volunteer professionals every year to work with local partners in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada to create positive, lasting change. Established in 1961, Cuso International is dedicated to tackling today’s most important development issues.
Trias Southeast Asia
Trias is an international development organization headquartered in Brussels working to help local entrepreneurs and farmers all over the world. The organization works in 15 countries with over 100 partner organizations to help them become a relevant, inclusive and sustainable organization that promotes inclusive growth in favor small-scale entrepreneurs and family farmers.
The Trias Philippines team is also connecting entrepreneurs to each other and to other cities by building urban-rural bridges. They also seek to raise awareness about farmers and the barriers to economic development they face.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation (more details below)
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
Pre-departure Training and Briefing
We commit to helping you prepare as best as possible for your placement. As a volunteer you will have an advisor to support you through the pre-departure process and you will receive essential training as part of your preparation. This training is designed to maximize your understanding of your placement country and culture, help you identify and plan your own learning, and help you stay safe and healthy during your placement.
Overview of pre-departure training:
1.Self-directed briefing with documents and online training provided by your volunteer advisor and external resources
2.Online health briefing
3.Fundraising 101 Webinar
4.Pre-departure Training -Skills and Knowledge for Working in Development (SKWID) course
In-Country Training and Learning
As a volunteer, you will receive an In-Country Orientation (ICO) that builds upon pre-departure training. This will be conducted by either the country program office or the supporting partner organization. This normally lasts for 2-10 days (depending on language learning requirements and other factors). In some countries, volunteers will be able to access ongoing language training opportunities. In-Country Orientation equips you with the relevant skills, knowledge, and country-specific information to be successful in your placement. Furthermore, our Country Program Office or local partner will provide you with continuous in-country support throughout the duration of your placement.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or to Cuso International before or after their field placement. Volunteers can also request e-volunteer support to help them with their work, or any other partner-requested task while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to pre-departure training, an international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.