Cuso International is launching a volunteer selector recruitment and training program in Chicago, IL. We look forward to developing and expanding our volunteer activities in the coming years and hope to have your participation in this exciting program.
Volunteer Selectors help Cuso International to interview and evaluate candidates for volunteer placements overseas using Assessment Centre Methodology. We are looking for people who are interested in International Development, have experience interviewing and living or working overseas, and are able to commit 6 – 8 days a year (some weekdays and some weekends) from 8:15am until a final decision is made, usually between 6-7pm.
This recruitment will be for Volunteer Selectors who are comfortable attending all events in English and live in the Chicago area. We will be able to cover some local transportation costs, such as bus tickets, or parking but no taxis, long distance transport or accommodations in Chicago.
Skills we are looking for:
- Professional work experience
- Interviewing experience
- Work or travel experience overseas
- Experience working cross-culturally or in a diverse environment
- Commitment to international development and the values of international volunteering
- Strong communication skills in English
What we’ll need from you:
- A willingness to complete our Selector Assessment Day (interview – ½ day) – on Tuesday, May 14th 2013 from 8:30am to 12:30pm or 1:30pm to 5:30pm
- If selected, participate in our 2-day training program – Wednesday, May 15th and Thursday, May 16th from 8:30am to 5:30pm
- A commitment to volunteer 6-8 days - some days during the week, others on the weekend – over the coming year, from 8:15am until 6-7pm
- An interest in helping Cuso International identify the best possible candidates for volunteer placements with our partners overseas
- A commitment to using the Cuso International Assessment methodology
What Volunteer Selector enjoy about working with Cuso International:
Cuso International asks a lot of Volunteer Selectors. In return, we feel that Selectors enjoy their work with Cuso International. They also gain a lot personally from their involvement with the Cuso International assessment process:
- Helping to promote Cuso International’s purpose of work towards a more equitable world
- Opportunity to develop assessment skills through experience and ongoing training
The job of selecting volunteers is a difficult task. Cuso International has developed a very distinctive assessment format. Potential Volunteer Selectors are also required to go through an assessment process so that both they and Cuso International can determine whether there is a good match between their needs.
The role of Volunteer Selector is a demanding one. The Assessment Methodology involves full concentration, note taking on what candidates say and do throughout the day, and an end of day discussion with 2 other selectors to determine if a candidate has demonstrated each of the 6 dimensions. One of the challenges that Volunteer Selectors find most difficult, is the extensive note taking throughout the day and the completion of the required paperwork.
Cuso International is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, age, religion or other grounds. All decisions are based on merit, qualifications and suitability for the role.
If this sounds like a volunteer opportunity that you are interested in, please read this document and send us a completed application form and resume to Melanie Sanna at email@example.com (you can also contact us at the same address should you have any questions.) Questions can also be directed to Melanie Sanna at 1-888-434-2876 extension 352.